Monday, February 14, 2011

Zorro, "Just So"

I have never actually read a graphic novel. I took a glance at Watchmen at one point, but never really got into it. Zorro was absolutely amazing. I really enjoyed reading it. A lot of times with novels, I find it hard to follow. I definitely enjoy reading but with a lot of books I get very lost with long drawn out paragraphs. It's hard for me to pay attention to what's going on and find myself rereading pages over and over again. The doctor and my mother says it has to do with my ADD, but I think a lot of times my mind wanders because I'm focusing so hard on picturing what the story is saying and creating my own visions and creating my own story that I lose track of the words I'm actually reading. This, of course, is the beauty of literature, but often times I get frustrated. With Zorro the images were right in front of me so I didn't have to read long drawn out imagery or details. It was almost like watching a movie.
I have heard of Zorro before, of course, and have seen a couple of the films, but this story line was great. It gave Zorro a reason to be who he is. Zorro reminded me a bit of Robin Hood, a character I very much admire. To have gone through everything Diego De La Vega had gone through and still be a wonderful, giving person concerned about the wellness of others is my exact definition of a hero.
There were so many great scenes throughout the novel it is definitely hard to pick out just one! My favorite scene was during the pirate attack. Once the pirates enter the De Le Vega home in chapter 2, Diego's mother puts on her "Daughter of the Wolf" face and was ready to fight for her home and protect her only son. The first image I love is the one of her standing by a fireplace, two swords in hand facing a mob of nearly ten pirates. But in the second image, a close up of her face, she is a fierce mama wolf with powerful eyes ready to attack. I LOVE this image of Regina. It shows such powerful emotion.
The scene I liked the least but I must note is the scene where Bernardo's mother was raped. This scene is on the page right after the Regina scene mentioned above. I have to note this scene because it was one of the first images that really gave me an emotional connection to these characters through the images. The scene shows Bernardo cowering under a bed keeping his word to his mother that he will not make a sound. The progression of tears forming and eventually pouring out of his eyes while his mother gives a great sacrifice to save him broke my heart.

"JUST SO."

I also very much enjoyed all of the close up images of Maestro, Miguel Escalante's face throughout Diego's fencing training. He would be twisting his mustache saying "Just so." I found that funny.
I loved all the fast action scenes as well! For example, near the end of the novel, Zorro has his much anticipated major fight scene with Gonzales! The words ran though my mind and the pictures seemed to move so fast I forgot I was reading a book!
This graphic novel was really amazing. I was very impressed. The story was captivating, the images were beautiful. I loved everything about it, I couldn't put it down. I'll definitely be reading many more graphic novels. Starting with Zorro Vol. 2. I'm buying it this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent graphics: I like how you incorporated them. You also make a good point about Watchmen: that is a harder graphic novel to read because it is so dense. Francavilla and Wagner have chosen a more open style, which I think is easier to read. I also like your point about how this open style helps the reader stay focused. Your choice of the "Mama Wolf" scene is great: I really like that Allende incorporated this very strong Mother figure. She is truly heroic.

    ReplyDelete